Skip to main content

Johanna Went: An Intern's Perspective

Johanna Went: An Intern's Perspective
Artist of the Week Series
Daniel Schreiner


As I was slaving away archiving Franklin Furnace's History of the Future video collection, a certain DVD caught my attention. The sleeve depicted a crazed-looking woman pouring what seemed to be blood onto herself, advertising Johanna Went's "Club Years: 1977-87." Intrigued, I popped the video in and hit "play."
At first, I was shocked and rather dismissive about what I saw. Against a multimedia backdrop of ambient synthesizers, psychedelic drum-playing, and colorful, DIY costume-props, a young woman screeched, snarled, and writhed into the microphone. Her sounds were completely incoherent; her bodily movements completely animal. Appalled, I watched as Went spontaneously rolled on the floor, donned various grotesque masks/costumes, and pulled giant, blood-stained tampons out of a huge constructed vagina, hurling them at the bewildered audience.
I was mesmerized in spite of myself by the spectacle and the sheer chaos of Went's performances. As I continued to watch her saw away at numerous dildos attached to her outfit, pour ambiguous liquids over her body and into her mouth, and tear apart various props around her, I began to grasp at some extremely powerful significances. It was vile, disgusting, disturbing, nightmarish, irresistable; it was about disintegration, irrationality, and insanity. It made me feel both morbidly fascinated and vicariously exhilarated, as if I was experiencing a kind of second-hand catharsis--releasing some tremendous source of tension I didn't know I had through my visual participation in Johanna Went's antics.
Went's performances tap into our bare, base, primal, animal selves. Went acts out all of our stifled and subconscious desires to scream, fight, fuck, destroy. The sounds she makes resound with incredible energy and passion, yet the import is lost in translation--what she is trying to communicate is beyond words, unfit for our limited system of language.
One must note the context of her work--1977 to 1987 corresponds directly with the age of Neoconservatism, the Reagan Administration, and the AIDS Epidemic. As such, Went takes on an extreme form of radical, even anarchical rebellion against the many forms of repression and censorship rampant during that era. Her work represents a defiant, unapologetic refusal of decorum, superficiality, and "polite-ness." She tells people to resist cultural homogeneity and anonymity, kicking and screaming if necessary; she affirms the ability to be "weird," "crazy," "other" without shame or stigmatization.
Thus, Johanna Went speaks to me because, like me, she is skeptical of hegemonic, "mainstream" cultural values like conformity, respectability, and sameness. She keeps the possibility for dissidence and individual liberation alive within us, awakening our inherent instinct to fight for life, tooth and nail. She forced me to confront my animalistic self and adapt to the shock of "difference." Her performances are, in effect, a healthy, raw, and necessary "slap" in the face.







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Lesson on Ethics in the Archive

Recently, I’ve acquired a fascination for archives. Their immense capability of both preserving and dictating memories of people, places, and eras is captivating, and a careful balance to maintain. When I joined Franklin Furnace for their 2020 Summer Internship, I was excited to work with their collection of digital archives, looking forward to peering into a piece of art history. I was assigned the task of researching and revamping Franklin Furnace’s Wikipedia page. I was to go through the Franklin Furnace website and their event archives, and select information to input on the Wikipedia page. At times, the work felt tedious: switching between tabs, synthesizing information into my own words, and constantly organizing photographs and documents. However, during my research, I would stumble upon tidbits of information that made me pause and made it all worth it. I found artists who I had no idea worked with Franklin Furnace, artists who have extensive experience in the art world, and ar

SWEETS FOR THE SWEET

This collection of a decade of boxes of sweets was saved by Harley J. Spiller, Deputy Director of Franklin Furnace Archive, Inc. It started when Franklin Furnace moved to its second headquarters at 45 John Street in Manhattan’s Fi-Di in 1999 (before the financial district was christened FiDi by eager realtors).  When later that year fellow staffer Tiffany Ludwig returned from vacation on the Outer Banks of North Carolina carrying a gift of a pound of salt water taffy for the office, the box seemed too cool to discard. Even though the candies were gone, Spiller, as is his wont, saved it.  It was, after all “Full of Sea Breeze and Sunshine.” Salt Water Taffy became a traditional gift for staff returning from vacation and Tiffany and Rachel B. Knowles, intern cum staffer, brought several more over the years, including White Marlin brand from Chincoteague (with its label pasted over the original location), one that memorializes NC lighthouses at Cape Lookout, Oak Island, Currituck, Bodie

Unearthing the Archives: "Extreme Women" by Iris Rose

Written by Clara Perlmutter Extreme Women by Iris Rose from Franklin Furnace on Vimeo . When I saw “Extreme Women” by Iris Rose on Franklin Furnace’s Vimeo, I was immediately drawn in by the title. In a way, I almost identified with the title. I have always been a pretty dramatic woman, and extreme is a synonym for dramatic, no? As I began watching the video, I found that the title was quite descriptive. However, the more I have come to understand the video, the less I have identified with the title. The writing on screen at the start of the video informed me that the video was comprised of clips of a performance, but the first time I watched the video, I missed the words that flashed in the bottom right corner for the first performance that told me who Rose was portraying. I was somewhat startled when piano music began playing, and a woman in all black began shouting. I didn’t understand what was going on until I heard the line, “God! Politics! The future of Germany!” and be